Today's readings deal with Job's hopelessness in face of sickness, Paul's desire to be a slave to all (to win some to the gospel) and Jesus healing Peter's mother-in-law and countless others.
My liturgy prep group, tasked me with writing intentions. Here they are:
- For our Church, that it never waver from its mission to bring comfort to the ailing, hope to the despairing and companionship to the lonely, we pray to the Lord.
- For our Church leaders, that like Jesus and Paul, they be slaves to all, preaching the gospel of healing and hope to a God-hungry world, we pray to the Lord.
- For the leaders of the our community, that they find joy and meaning in their service and comfort from the community in times of distress, we pray to the Lord.
- For those with longstanding, debilitating or chronic illnesses, that they maintain courage, patience and hope as they bear the burden of disease and addiction, we pray to the Lord.
- That we use our times of health to bring laughter and companionship to those who suffer, grasping their hands and helping them up to lives of greater joy and purpose, we pray to the Lord.